12/23/2020 Athletic Director Press Release
Jason Baxter is resigning as Athletic Director at Lakeside High School and Sean Allgood will be taking over as Interim Athletic Director in January. Baxter came to Lakeside High School in August of 2018 and was in his third year as A.D. He will be starting a new job next month.
Allgood, who currently serves as Truant Officer for AACS, was a standout athlete at Ashtabula High School graduating in 1990. He was a three-time 1st team All-Ohio Offensive/Defensive player and a Preseason All-American in 1989-90 in football. Allgood received over 30 offers from major Division I schools and over 100 Division IAA, II, and III schools. After verbally committing to PAC-10 powerhouse University of Washington, Allgood later de-committed and signed with Northern Illinois University where he was a four-year starter at Wide Receiver and Quarterback and also served as team captain in 1994. After college, Sean was invited to workout with the Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars in 1995. After his playing days were over, Allgood coached football, basketball and track at Ashtabula High School/Lakeside High School, before moving to the Division II collegiate level at coach at Lake Erie College for 12 years. He recently returned to coaching at Lakeside as the Boys Varsity assistant basketball coach to add to his 22 years of coaching and 15 years of playing experience.
“We are thrilled to have Sean step into this role. He has played at a very high level and coached at the collegiate level. His resume and accomplishments reflect that he understands how to develop a successful program, the responsibilities of a successful student/athlete, and his familiarity with the area has led to successful relationships with our families,” said Superintendent Mark Potts.
Allgood understands athletics in the Ashtabula area as he was a four-year letter winner in basketball and 3 year letter winner in track. Born the son of Larry and Arlena Allgood, Sean had three older brothers (Larry, Darrell, and the late Corey) and a sister Danielle who were all outstanding athlete at AACS. Allgood is the proud father of four children – Aaliyah, 24; Taylor, 19; Sean Jr., 17; and Drayton, 13.
“We are confident that Sean will do a great job in this role as athletic director, he truly understands the connection between academics and athletics and how we want to build excellence in both areas here at Lakeside,” said Director of School Improvement Mariel Sallee.
Since his arrival at Lakeside High School, Baxter has overseen several projects and is proud of the great strides in equipment and facilities, community service and competitive excellence. During his tenure, Baxter:
- Coordinated multiple Facilities projects during the 2018-19 school year including new Daktronics Lakeside Stadium scoreboard, Weight Room restoration, and Tennis Courts renovation. Projects totaled over $600,000 in district investment.
- Oversaw transition to Chagrin Valley Conference, represented the district in conference matters including divisional realignment, bylaw voting, and hosting championships including the 2019 Girls Tennis Tournament
- Promoted athletics through Social Media campaigns, local media outlets and VNN website. Used website as a communication tool that has seen high marks including 156,000 views in 28 months!
- During his tenure Lakeside was chosen to host their first-ever OHSAA Football Playoff game. While continuing to host OHSAA Boys and Girls Basketball District Tournaments
- In the past two years, Lakeside has had two student-athletes sign NCAA Division I Letters of Intent, three state qualifiers in 2020 (Bowling, wrestling), and numerous athletes have received All-District and All-Ohio honors. Girls Soccer set a school record for wins this past season under the leadership of Angelo Velotta, while Volleyball shared the CVC Championship while winning 19 games this fall. Last winter, Boys and Girls Swimming won the county championship.
- Dragon athletes completed Community service including partnership with YO! Leadership, Dragon Empowerment Center (Food Drive – Winter 2020, Bedtime Stories – Summer 2020), 2nd & 7 Foundation Reading Program
- HS Head Coach hires since 2018 – Angelo Velotta (Girls Soccer), Jared Sziber (Baseball), Stephanie Kubec (Volleyball), Matt Newsome (Boys Basketball), Clark Hewitt (Girls Tennis), Andy Kiphart (Boys Golf)
Baxter said, “I would like to thank Dr. Mark Potts, Bob Klinar and the school board for a successful two-plus years at Lakeside. We have accomplished many great things over my time here, all of which was done with student-athlete experience in mind. I have appreciated the support of coaches, student athletes, and families during my time at Lakeside. I will miss working daily with our coaches and student-athletes towards building successful programs. I believe Lakeside Athletics is on a positive path forward and Sean will do a great job building on the success going forward,” Baxter concluded.
Superintendent Mark Potts said that appreciated all that Baxter was able to accomplish in his time at Lakeside. “Jason was hard working and brought us much more up to date with respect to social media, broadcasting games, and managing the department through software improvements. I appreciate the work he did and wish Jason and his family the very best in the future.”